I have been rather distracted lately with quite a lot of stuff going on in my life and I find myself stressing about deadlines and, well, getting shit done. So I thought I would share with you my tips for doing exactly that …
- Put yourself in a quiet place. Whether it is physically removing yourself from distractions by going to a library or cafe, or if you have more self control, your work desk. I can’t work anywhere, I have to be in a place where I specifically work otherwise I know I will get distracted and defeat the point of this post!!
- Turn off social media. This is always the number one tip on any organisation/motivation post and there is a reason why. The wee ding of a notification can be just enough to stop your for working because you are ‘just replying to this one message’ and and then an hour later … It happens to all of us.
- Lists. Lists. Lists. Knowing what you need to do, when you need to do it, and how you’re going to do it can not only help you figure out where to start but it is also motivating to tick things off your list and see how much you have actually accomplished throughout the day. Spending 5 minutes planning for the day can actually result in getting an extra hour or two work done.
- Fully equip yourself. Similar to the list making, ensure that you are prepared to do the work you have set out to do. For example, if I need to take some photos for my blog, if my camera battery isn’t charged then thats 2 hours that I can’t do that. If you need to study for uni, make sure you have all your notebooks and textbooks and lecture notes. There is no point in doing half a job right?
- Goals. Goals. Goals. Well, more importantly, realistic goals. If you think you can learn dedicate one day to learning a whole semester of class work then, unless you have an incredibly long attention span and/or a photographic memory, that is an unrealistic goal. Small goals are satisfying, motivating and achievable.
I hope some of you find that helpful. I certainly find myself achieving so much more and being so much smarter with my time when I follow these steps.
Thanks for reading,